Whooping cough prevention and treatment with homeopathy
*The content of this website is not to be misconstrued as medical advice nor does it replace the consult of a physician or practitioner. Reader assumes the responsibility of investigating for themselves disease prevention and treatment methodologies that concur with their beliefs and understanding.
Whooping Cough, while a relatively mild disease, can be severe in infants or those with a compromised immune system.
Signs and Symptoms
- Whooping cough begins as a mild respiratory illness with runny nose and persistent cough. This stage is indistinguishable from a common cold and is considered the catarrhal stage that usually lasts two weeks. It is during this time that the disease is most readily spread. The cough is generally worse at night and there will only be a slight fever.
- Next comes the development of a clear glary mucus with the cough. It is very viscid and difficult to expel despite paroxysms of coughing. The coughing paroxysms can often end in vomiting or the child can become cyanotic (blue) due to choking on the mucus.
- After two weeks, the paroxysmal stage begins, lasting approximately six weeks. The cough will become more spasmodic with eight to ten coughs per breath.
- During the convalescence stage, which can last several weeks to months, the coughs come less often and eventually, the child recovers to normal. In some cases, the convalescent stage may last from four months to two years.
Prevention and Treatment Options
There are many homeopathic remedies which can be used in the treatment of whopping cough depending on the stage of the illness and the symptoms the child is expressing. With the correct remedy contracted whooping cough can be resolved relatively quickly, ie in 2-10 days, thereby reducing the level of suffering and length of suffering. While antibiotics are used in conventional medicine to kill the bacteria. If the whoop has entered the spasmodic stage of the illness, in contract to the correct homeopathic remedy they will not change the course of the disease.
- Use of whooping cough nosode (Pertussin) in ascending potencies as outlined on the STATUS SHEET for a standard prevention protocol (See schedule below). Doses are to be given over a few month period starting with 200C, repeating a triple dose of the 200C the following week then a triple dose of 10M followed one month later with a second round of the 10M.
- Use of Drosera, preventatively or if the disease is contracted as this remedies correspond to the common symptom manifestations of Measles. They can be used if there is known exposure or at the first signs of the disease and correspond to fluctuating temperatures, or runny nose and watery eyes, respectively. These remedies can be alternated if you are unsure, repeating the remedy that offers the most relief.
- Various other remedies in active disease: Anacardium, Ipecacuanha, Coccus cacti, Corralium Rubrum, Cuprum for more information get the Book or Consult a Homeopath
Pertussin may be used as a prophylaxis remedy for whooping cough, and may in fact abort a case of recently contracted whooping cough.
The goal of HP is to introduce into the human system the energetic components of particular diseases in order to stimulate the immune system. Homeopathic Nosodes, such as Pertussin, are potentized preparations of the disease germ or discharges produced in response to whooping cough. Upon repetition of the particular remedy it is understood that some aspect of susceptibility to the particular disease has been fulfilled.
Suggested homeoprophylaxis protocol
|Recommended times||Remedy||Potency||Date of Admin||Initials||Reaction if any|
|Dose 1 first week||Pertussin||200|
|Dose 2 second week||Pertussin||200, 200, 200|
|Dose 3Following month||Pertussin||10M, 10M, 10M|
|Dose 4Following month||Pertussin||10M, 10M, 10M|
Remedy-Disease Relationship:; Pertussin – whooping cough