For a specific protocol designed for your travel plans Consult a Homeopath well versed in disease prevention
*The content of this website is not to be misconstrued as medical advice nor does it replace the consult of a physician or practitioner. Reader assumes the responsibility of investigating for themselves disease prevention methodologies that concur with their beliefs and understanding.
Contents of this page
- CDC reports
- Preventative measures
- Other considerations
- Action of homeopathic remedies
- Four main approaches
- Potency and repetition for prevention
- Potency and repetition for active disease
- Notes and word of caution
Homeopathy has a rich history in treating and preventing tropical diseases. There are many existing homeopathic clinics in Africa, Central America, and Asia providing treatment and prevention for diseases such as Malaria, Dengue fever, Yellow fever, Typhoid and Cholera.
Depending on where you are traveling, when you are traveling, your current health status, the length of time you will be gone, and the amount of time you have before you are to travel, it is possible to use homeopathic remedies for disease prevention (described below).
2. The CDC has up to date disease incidence rates for all destinations around the world.
As with vaccines, homeopathic prevention must be initiated months prior to the dates of travel so that the immune system has time to respond and develop the appropriate antibodies and immunity. Correspondingly, many other preventative measures will reduce the risk of most diseases.
3. Preventative measures:
- Avoid contaminated water and food
- Drink bottled water, and food prepared by you or your host family, well attended restaurants etc.
- Avoid ice in your drinks
- Water purification devices may be necessary
- Wash all fruits and veggies that do not have peels, in purified water
- Avoid raw foods, salad etc
- Avoid some street vendors as the cooking oil may be contaminated
- Wash your hands often
- Protect yourself from mosquitoes
- Wear long sleeve and pants
- Sleep under mosquito netting
- Use mosquito repellent
- Stay inside during the early evening when mosquitoes come out
4: Other considerations:
- Condition your digestive tract with Probiotics, Colostrum, and Digestive enzymes for one month before and during travel.
- Have Activated Charcoal on hand to take if digestive upset seems imminent.
- Follow BRAT diet to replace nutrients (Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, Toast), in cases of diarrhea or Electrolyte loss.
- Boiled rice water, Pedialyte, or GatorAid to replace of loss of vital fluids from diarrhea or blood loss.
- Dehydrated beef liver extract, iron and folic acid in cases of blood loss.
5: Action of homeopathic remedies in disease prevention:
- Individual homeopathic remedies given to prevent disease are aimed at fulfilling the susceptibility to the disease prior to exposure so that the likelihood of contracting the disease is lower. If the disease is contracted those same remedies can help in the recovery process and lessen the extent of the disease.
- Successive use of nosodes stimulates antibody production to that particular disease.
For specific homeopathic remedies for specific diseases read the Book
For an individualized disease prevention protocol call 612-701-0629
6: Four main approaches:
1. Individual remedies targeted to specific diseases i.e. some examples:
- Phosphorus for Hepatitis A
- Eupatorium perfoliatum for Dengue fever
- Crotalus horridus for Yellow fever or Dengue Hemorrhagic fever or severe Cholera
- Baptisia for Typhoid
- Pyrogenium for septic conditions
- Camphora, Cuprum or Veratrum album for Cholera, or Crotalus horidus, or Arsenicum depending on symptom presentation if disease is active.
- Pulsatilla for Measles
Either used individually or in a series prior to exposure. Or, used at point of suspected exposure.
2. Nosodes* for individual diseases based on possible exposure i.e.:
- Malaria nosode for malaria
- Typhoidinum for typhoid
- Yellow fever nosode for Yellow fever
- Dengue fever nosode for Dengue
- Cholera toxin nosode for Cholera
Either used individually or in a series depending on disease incidence.
*In the US nosodes are only available through doctors and some homeopathic practitioners. Nosodes are available for direct purchase from European homeopathic pharmacies. All other remedies are available for over the counter purchase or phone order from US homeopathic pharmacies.
3. Single remedy to cover a particular symptom picture. As many of the tropical disease has similar symptom pictures one homeopathic remedy may act as a preventative for several diseases, i.e.
- Phosphorus covers the symptomatology for Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, Malaria, Yellow fever, and a variety of digestive disturbances including vomiting and diarrhea. Thus, Phosphorus may be considered a global remedy to prevent many diseases.
4. Combination remedies or a series of remedies, which may include nosodes*, that target specific symptom pictures. These combination remedies have six to ten of most common remedies for that condition along with a nosode. Examples:
- Diarrhea combination remedy would prevent and treat rotavirus, cholera, etc.
- Hemorrhagic combination remedy for all haemolytic processes like Dengue, Typhoid, Yellow fever, Cholera etc.
- Malaria combination remedy which contains, Malaria nosode
7: Potency and Repetition for Disease Prevention
Remedies can be applied at various intervals in various potencies. One Dose refers to 3-8 pellets.
- A single dose followed a week later with a triple dose (three doses in a 24 hour period). Either in 30C or 200C. Or, over an extended period of time in ascending potencies (200c, 1M, 10M). Wait one week between each dose. Usually two repetitions of the series is sufficient.
- A single dose of a particular remedy repeated at weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly intervals. 30 C or 200C.
- A series of remedies repeated in alternation, one dose per week. Either 30C or 200C. i.e. for malaria; Phosphorus, followed by Arsenicum, then Natrum muriaticum, then China over a four week period. One dose per week, followed by the successive remedy. This series should be commenced one month prior to travel and then repeated during the extent of travel.
- A daily dose of 6C or 12C of a single or combination remedy.
8: Potency and Repetition for Active Disease
Each case must be evaluated for virulence of the disease, healing response in the individual, duration the person has been sick before treatment, and severity of disease expression. The guidelines below with help determine the best potency given the situation.
For specific guidance on managing active cases of infectious contagious disease consult a homeopath
- Higher potencies (200C or 1M) are better in those individuals with strong vital forces and strong reactions to the disease. 200C can be given in 2 or 3 doses in a 6-24 hour period, or 1M single or split dose (repeated once in 12 hours). Expect a change towards health in within the first hour of administration, with the following doses to complete the process.
- If the illness has reach the point of collapse and there has been a lot of vital fluid loss or depletion for extended fevers etc. the remedy can be given in a low potency (30C) repeated often (every 2-6 hours), or 200c in water to be sipped every 20 min for 6-24 hours to help the person gain strength. Support with fluids and other adjunctive measures (see above) .
- If the illness has moved into a chronic state, never-been-well-since or relapses. Continue repeated dosing with 30C or 200C over several weeks of months along with adjunctive measures will regain the health.
- If the disease is remote, i.e. several months or years have past but the effects still linger, a single dose of the nosode, followed one week later by a triple dose of the nosode will activate the healing mechanism to clear the condition. Expect a short lived fever or re-occurrence of symptoms experienced at the time of the original illness. These symptoms will pass in a short amount of time and health should be regained. Or a clear symptom picture for a Constitutional remedy will emerge.
9: Notes and Word of Caution
Depending on an individual’s susceptibility and the time one has to prepare for a trip, not every disease is preventable, nor is it reasonable to take a multitude of remedies to prevent all possible diseases. Alternatively, the CDC may give the impression that it is no problem to take 8 different vaccines at one time and presto you have automatic immunity to all of those diseases. Truth is, in order to properly stimulate the immune system to each disease the vaccines need to be given one at a time, over time, in a series. Use of multiple vaccines at one time has its own potential of risk. Gulf war syndrome, or years of ill health is common to this methodology of immune system overload from too many vaccines. Correspondingly, too many homeopathic remedies, particularly if those remedies have no relation to an individuals’ susceptibility, while not toxic, have the potential to have a deleterious effect on ones well-being.